A partial listing of past and current octagonal houses in Canada.

Bowmanville, Ontario
Supposedly designed by the Rev. W.H. Heu de Bourk as a parsonage for the Congregational church. The door of this octagonal house is not in the center of the veranda, but off to one side. The columns at the corners of the veranda are paired and have abacuses. The veranda also has a balustrade and an architrave (or fascia.). The roof of the octagon has a squared belvedere instead of a chimney.
Granton, Ontario
Built in 1872 by Albert Beatson, one of the pioneers of the area. Grout walls form the main octagon and also in the back kitchen which was possibly added later. The main floor contains the living room and three bedrooms. The basement contains the kitchen and bedrooms. Only one room is square.
Hempola Farms - Dalston, Ontario
Hempola Farms built an octagon hemp straw house in 2002.
Ingersol, Ontario
Perhaps the small octagonal house in Ontario.
Killiecrankie Cottage - Lake Joseph, Muskoka, Ontario
Built in 1886 as a family cottage for William and Grace MacKenzie of Toronto. The octagonal design was strongly influenced by the philosophic views of the family doctor, Dr. Emily Stowe, however, Killiecrankie was not constructed in strict accordance with Orsen Fowler's theories. Eight Scottish carpenters were brought to Muskoka and employed as builders and architects. The cottage was destroyed by fire in 1999.
Picton, Ontario
The layout for this octagonal house is taken from Orson Fowler's A Home for All. It is a plain, two storey octagon shape with single-pane sash windows and a veranda that sweeps around three sides of the building on the street level. The finish is white stucco and the roof is a pleasing contrast in black. A lacquered cottage-style door in natural wood with side lights is the only ornament. A central fireplace is suggested by the octagonal shaped chimney in the center of the house.
Kingsholme - Kingsville, Ontario
Built in 1856 for Col. James King, founder of Kingsville. According to lore, the builder was half drunk during its erection, misread the instructions and so the second floor ceiling is higher than the first. Apart from that, the house is large and solidly built, interior plaster being applied directly onto brick walls. Two wings were added in 1881 and probably a parlour fireplace at the same time.
Kingston, Ontario
Located near Kingston, this octagon brick schoolhouse was built in 1855 by George Morton, the owner of the local mill. Each wall is about 25 feet. The house has been used as a residence.

Leaside Octagon House - Toronto, Ontario
Built south of Millwood Road near the present Memorial Gardens by William, son of John Lea who bought several hundred acres and farmed in what is now Leaside. The bricks were made from nearby clay beds and laid in Flemish bond as was characteristic of the period. Joist pockets for a porch were included but the porch was never built. The house burned down in 1915. The photograph shows the smoldering remains of the house. 
The LaFontain House - Windsor, Ontario
The LaFontain house was built in 1875 with a Mansard roof, red brick exterior and an an elliptical hall and stair. During a restoration effort it burned and was then demolished.
Mount Pleasant, Ontario
An octagonal school. The photograph was taken circa 1880. 

The Octagon House - Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Octagon House was designed by noted architect of the day, Henry Elliot and built by Dartmouth contractor John Keating in 1871. The home's original owner, Gavin Holliday was a native of New England and there were several examples in that area which may have provided the inspiration for the design of his Dartmouth home.  The property was sold by the estate of the last owner Charles Herman, to a development company which demolished the house in 1969. An apartment building, commemoratively named Octagon Tower, is now located on the site.

 

The Octagonal House - Sackville, New Brunswick
Built in 1855, it was named for it unique eight-sided structure. The style of the house was influenced by Orson Fowler. The Octagonal House was built by Captain George Anderson, a shipbuilder and mariner. Later he sold the building to Captain Titus Anderson, his father. It has served as a home for a number of families since that time and now houses the Sackville Information Centre and Craft Gallery.
Octagonal House - New Brunswick
Built by Stephen S. Smith in about 1864. Located on the  road between Honeydale and Moores Mills in New Brunswick. Photograph taken in 1976. 
Peterborough, Ontario
This house is a good example of the two chimney with lantern type. Built by William Lee for his brother John, a millwright. The walls are made with thick wide planks piled on top of one another with an inch of plaster between. At one time, a verandah and balcony ran round the house. Five rooms were located on the main floor with four bedrooms upstairs. The house was destroyed in 1962.
The Roblin House - Ameliasburg, Ontario
Built by Owen Roblin, whose mill is restored at Pioneer Village in Toronto, for his son Robert and his wife. A typical octagonal house with surrounding porch, central lantern, illuminating attic, two chimneys on opposite outside walls. The interior has been extensively altered.
The Round House - Maple, Ontario
Locally called the Round House and attributed to Henry J. Bird. Plans show alterations made over the years - the east window on the ground floor became a door and the house was converted into a duplex. The house never contained any fireplaces. All the lumber used was said to have been cut on the property. The construction costs were to have been $3,000.
Thomas Pickett Octagonal House - Lowville, Ontario
Built in the 1850s for Thomas Pickett using the method of rubble construction according to the principles of Orson Fowler’s Home for All: or Gravel Wall and Octagonal Mode of Building.  One large pine tree, cut at the Pickett sawmill in Lowville, is said to have provided the wood for all the doors and floors in the house.
Woodchester Villa - Bracebridge, Ontario
This three storey octagonal house is one of the largest of its kind in Ontario and a classic example of the octagonal form in Ontario. The octagonal form is evident in many details such as the chimneys, observation platform, flagpole, verandah posts, newel posts and interior door mouldings. The house may be one of the earliest examples of a poured concrete house found in Ontario. Woodchester Villa has been designated under the Ontario Heritage Act and commemorated with an Ontario Provincial plaque. Woodchester Villa is currently a historic house museum.
Woodlawn House - Otterville, Ontario
This octagonal, board and batten cottage once sat among the trees, on the edge of a high bank of the Otter River, at Milldale. Thomas Wright built the house in 1861, and named it "Woodlawn Place." In May of 1976 the house was moved to its present location. It is used as an adult community centre.

 

This web site is designed, maintained and copyrighted by Woodchester Villa.
Woodchester Villa is located in Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada.